Rounds 3 & 4 Bishopscourt May 12th 2019

The third round of the Formula Vee championship brought the drivers to the beautiful Bishopscourt race circuit in County Down, Northern Ireland.

Bishopscourt specialist Dan Polley who has won the last six races at the track, was out to not only out to keep his winning streak going but also to get his first win of 2019. The Dubliner has had to watch rivals Jack Byrne and Anthony Cross take the chequered flag at the Kirkistown and Mondello rounds of the championship so far this year.

Anthony Cross drew first blood as he grabbed pole from Polley by 0.100 seconds. Unfortunately Polley was a non-starter and as the lights went out it was Cross, who made the most of the free space vacated by Polley at the start and lead the field into first corner. Right from the first corner Cross had his mirrors full of Jack Bryne and veteran Formula Vee driver Paul Heavey. Heavey then made a move on Byrne going into the chicane on the back straight to move into second. This trio quickly pulled clear of the field but on lap three Byrne while attempting to pass Cross got caught out on dropped oil and spun off at the hairpin.

This left Heavey and Cross to battle it out and both drivers put on a great display swapping the lead several times over the course of the race. By crossing the line with three seconds to spare, they got one final lap in the 15 minute timed race. It was Heavey who drew on all his Formula Vee race experience who came out on top as he took the chequered flag by 0.161 seconds ahead of Cross. Jack Byrne recovered to finish in third.

For the second race it was Anthony Cross starting from pole. He made best use of it as he lead off the line to head the field into turn one.

It looked to be shaping into a copy of race one as Cross, Byrne and Heavey began to battle it out in the opening laps. Until a mistake by Heavey ended in an off-course excursion, dropping him down the field. That left both Sheane car drivers Cross and Byrne to battle it out for the win. Byrne passed at half distance but it was a short lived as Cross was ahead again by the end of the lap. Once Cross regained the lead he never let it go and started to open a small gap on Byrne but the red flags came out on the final lap ending the race somewhat prematurely.

Another two close races at the sharp end of the field that kept the onlookers on their toes. The championship is still wide open and im sure it will be just as close at the next round.



Results by class:
A Championship Race 1
1st Paul Heavey
2nd Anthony Cross
3rd Jack Byrne

B Championship Race 1
1st Paul Heavey
2nd Jack Byrne
3rd Matt Bodden

Star of Tomorrow Championship Race 1
1st Philip Seane
2nd JB Farrell
3rd Sean McCallion

A Championship Race 2
1st Anthony Cross
2nd Jack Byrne
3rd Philip Sheane

B Championship Race 2
1st Jack Byrne
2nd Robert Fleming
3rd Colin Lewis

Star of Tomorrow Championship Race 2
1st Philip Sheane
2nd Justin Gray
3rd JB Farrell